Friday, May 20, 2011

Words, words, words

If you were a fly on the wall at my house lately you might have heard me quietly singing (muttering) to myself: "Words, words, words I'm so sick of words. I hear words all day long first from him now from you."
(Envision an impassioned Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" if you are wondering where that random phrase comes from.)

But really, it is my own words I am feeling sick of. Sometimes I get lost in my own words - and I wonder how much good I am really doing for my children with all these words. Are they drowning in the torrent of my words? Sometimes they get that glazed over look which is the warning light - I've lost them.
I have been made aware of by friends over the years that I restate things, oh, a few too many times. (And my husband agrees.) It is part of my search for just the right words... but there is only one truly right Word. Jesus. He is the Word my children need - that I need. It is His Spirit who must breathe life into my words if there is to be lasting benefit from my many failing words.
Maybe my words need to be fewer so my children can hear Him better.

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." (Colossians 3:16)

"For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." (Luke 6:45)

May I be filled with Your Words so that I speak life to my children - to all whose lives I touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment