Thursday, October 21, 2010

a Shoebox

We spent the day today shopping for gifts to fill our shoeboxes. I want the boys to know (I want to remember) how exceptionally blessed we are. How much we have.
This year we are participating in Operation Christmas Child by Samaritan's Purse. We'd filled shoeboxes a couple of years back, but I wasn't sure if the boys remembered. So, I showed them a couple of YouTube clips about Operation Christmas Child - it was great. I think the videos really brought the idea alive to the boys (and me).
It has been precious to me to hear them praying for the boys who will receive their gifts. It feels like such a small step in guiding them to look beyond themselves, but it is a step. And we move step-by-step.
We spent an afternoon shopping to fill the boxes. I delighted to see how excited the boys were to get things for someone else. One of the most memorable moments was after they had each drawn a picture to include, B asked me; "Mum, do you think he'll like my picture?" He'd put his heart into it.
I am grateful for the opportunity to be with my boys.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing space with me...I look forward to reading your posts. Love you all. -Corey

    ReplyDelete